The Realm Of BloodLust
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Realm Of BloodLust

Welcome To The Realm Of BloodLust

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Maurice Sendak mural has new home in Philadelphia

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
tammy
BloodLust Novice

Maurice Sendak mural has new home in Philadelphia Empty
PostSubject: Maurice Sendak mural has new home in Philadelphia   Maurice Sendak mural has new home in Philadelphia I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 12, 2011 7:42 am

Long before award-winning illustrator and writer Maurice Sendak's world of wild things charmed millions of young readers and changed the notion of what children's literature could look like, some of his now-classic characters frolicked on a wall overlooking New York's Central Park for an audience of two.

A mural Sendak painted in 1961 was removed — wall and all — after his friends, who were the apartment's longtime residents, had passed away. Now, it is being restored in a Philadelphia museum devoted to his work.

"What's nice is it's like a time machine," the 82-year-old Sendak told The Associated Press in a telephone interview from his Connecticut home. "It captures a part of the past for a moment, and friends who were very dear to me."

Sendak painted the work on a bedroom wall of Lionel and Roslyn Chertoff's Upper West Side apartment, two years before he gained international acclaim for "Where the Wild Things Are" in 1963. Though that book's "wild rumpus"-loving monsters don't make an appearance, the mural features Sendak's beloved pet terrier and star of several books, Jennie, leading a parade of festively dressed children, a bear and a lion that the artist would revisit in books throughout his career.

mrk3nx
BloodLust DeathKnight

Maurice Sendak mural has new home in Philadelphia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Maurice Sendak mural has new home in Philadelphia   Maurice Sendak mural has new home in Philadelphia I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 10:11 am

Egypt's ruling military reassured its international allies Saturday that there would be no break in its peace deal with Israel following the ouster of President Hosni Mubarak, and it lay out the first tentative steps to keep Egypt's economy and state functioning while it figures out how to overhaul the country for greater democracy.

The military statement, aired on state TV, was its first, cautious attempt to define the next steps after Mubarak handed over power to a council of his top generals and resigned on Friday in the face of an 18-day wave of popular protests.things i can get for a fiver
Lexington Home Builders
Back to top Go down

Maurice Sendak mural has new home in Philadelphia
Page 1 of 1